Hugh McKelvy (b. 1762 in North Ireland, d. March 13, 1835 and is buried in Old Bethel Cemetery.) was a private in the South Carolina militia during the reduction of Charleston. This is acceptable as Revolutionary War Service. Hugh came to Randolph County in 1818, with his brother Alexander and John McDill, Sr. Purchased 480 acres in Twp 4S5W on September 19, 1818. Hugh and family are listed in the “Prairie Pioneers of Illinois, Vol. 1.”. Hugh left his brother, Alexander and his family in charge of the land. On his way back to SC, they stopped in Tennessee with William Edgar, Samuel Nesbit and Samuel Little, to visit his brother, William H. McKelvy, and tell him of their projects in Illinois. Mr. McDill, settled in November 1819, but Hugh was unable to return until about June of 1820.

Print Friendly, PDF & Email