Former Mayor of Marissa Dies at Home of His Son

William McKee Lyons Passes Away Early Monday; Other Marissa Happenings

(By Mrs. H. J. Young)

William McKee Lyons, aged and highly-respected Marissa resident, died at the home of Mr. and Mrs. Ralph Lyons, his son, Monday morning at 11 o’clock. Mr. Lyons was aged 87 years. Several weeks ago he suffered a fall on the streets of Marissa but his condition was not considered serious, and no bones were broken. On Sunday morning August 4th, Mrs. Lyons fell at their home and fractured a hip and since then has been a patient at the Belleville hospital. Friday, Mr. Lyons became ill and his death Monday followed the few days illness, pneumonia developing.

He had grieved over the accident which had necessitated the removal of his companion of fifty-nine years to the hospital and his death was not made known to her until Tuesday. Mr. Lyons was born in Marissa township on February 28, 1847, a son of the late John R. and Mary A. Lyons, nee McKee. His father died in 1915 at the advanced age of 101 years, 8 months and 11 days.

In 1873 he engaged in the drug business in Marissa and for 45 years continued in that business, selling the business to Jensen and Hays in 1918.

On August 19, 1875, he was united in marriage to Sarah J. Patton, at Sparta. To them were born three children, J. Ralph Lyons of Marissa, Mrs. R. J. McMurdo of East St. Louis, and a son, Willard, who grew to manhood and whose death occurred several years ago.

He was mayor of Marissa for a number of years and served on the town board several terms. As a member of the board of education he served for many years. At the time of his death he was a director of the Marissa Building and Loan Association, having been its former president. He was a director of the First National Bank and an active elder of the Untied Presbyterian church.

Surviving are the widow, Mrs. Sarah J. Lyons; the son, J. Ralph Lyons, of Marissa, and the daughter Mae, wife of Attorney R. J. McMurdo, of East St. Louis.

Funeral services were held at the United Presbyterian church, Wednesday afternoon 2 o’clock, conducted by the pastor, Rev. Aiken. Interment was in the Marissa cemetery.

Sparta, News-Plaindealer, 16 Aug 1934

Mr. and Mrs. Harold Lyons were called here from Monmouth by the serious illness and death of their grandfather, W. M. K. Lyons.

Source: Sparta, News-Plaindealer, 16 Aug 1934

Print Friendly, PDF & Email