Randolph County Genealogy Queries

While you could place your comments on most any internal page on this website I have created this page specifically for genealogical queries, especially if there isn’t a good location for you elsewhere on the site. Simply add your query to the bottom of the page under “comments.” All old queries are presently being culled for valid email addresses, and those with valid addresses are being encouraged to re-post using this new format.

Print Friendly, PDF & Email

24 Comments

1. Correne Matye

Am looking for a birth record for Albert B. Lawson born August 29, 1856 in Sparta, Knox, Illnois. I would hope the birth record would list his parnets. Could be Murphy Lawson and Mary Ann Murphy

2. Patty Paulus

My post above was in reply to Pamela (Stover) Richardson. regarding the Gausman/Stoever Family.

3. Patty Paulus

Hi…I have researched the Gausmann and Stoever families also. I have Theodore, Maria, Henry, and Anna arriving on the Ship Therese from Bremen, Germany to New York. Desitination was Chester, Illinois. Traveling with them was Maria’s sister Therese and Gottfried Neihaus. They were married in Chester later on. Maria’s parents were Rottger and Elizabeth Ophoff. Siblings were Frank, Therese, Henry, Elizabeth, Catherine (Dina), and John. Rottger is buried in the Old St. Mary’s cemetery on the Niemann farm. I believe wife Elizabeth is buried there also. There were many burials there but only about 20 headstones are left. Rottger is listed on the only index available. Email me at [email protected]. I can send you more information if you need it. By chance do you have any photos? Theodore and Maria are my husband’s gg grandparents. I would love to share.
    Patty

4. Brian Mahan

If I remember correctly, when I was a kid (late-1950s and early-1960), there was a Duffy family (spelled the same?) that lived in/around Marissa IL. This small town is in southern St. Clair County, which is itself immediately north of Randolph County. You may want to check out the current/past families in that area.

5. Greg Mathis

Seeking information on John Preston Mathis, his ancestors & descendants. He & his wife Margaret “Peggy” (Brown) along with his son Leonard Mathis & family moved to Randolph County, Illinois in the 1850’s. John was born about 1790 in North Carolina, moved to Christian County, Kentucky, & died around 1865 in Randolph County, IL. Also hoping there may be a photograph of him or his family available.

6. Michael McKenna

Bridget’s 1840 patent is for 4s 8w Sec 20 and the “Related Documents” page shows purchases by Bridget and Thomas Dillon on 8/1/1838 and 10/10/1840. Since Dillon is Bridget’s maiden name I am assuming a family farm. Can anyone add to or confirm these data?

7. Michael McKenna

Seeking information on Bridget (Biddy) McKenna (McKinney). Husband Peter McKenna’s 1838 will identifies her as “living in Illinois with her children,” and her son Thomas Dillon McKenna’s obit gives his birthplace as Randolph County, IL. There is a land patent for Bridget McKinney 4S 8W S

8. Pamela (Stover) Richardson

I am looking for information about the Gausmann family. My great great grandparents, Theodor and Maria (Gausmann) Stoever immigrated to Chester, IL about 1864. It appears they maybe came to the Chester area because Maria Gausmann Stoever had relatives in the Chester, IL area.

9. Larry Kichler, Sherwood AR.

I am searching for information on Jane Duffy (Duffie) US 1870 Census show she lived in Randolph Co. Ill Township 6 Range 5. Married to John Duffy, 2 children Mary Jane and Ephrain.
    Kansas 1875 Census has Father and children living in Crawford Co. Kansas. Jane was not listed and we do not know what happened to her. Thank You.

10. Jerri Thompson

Clinton layman Thompson born June 7, 1922 married Evelyn Pearl vin son. He died arch 2,1956.looking for obit record or family j formation

11. Virginia

I’m looking for any information on a Charles Newell born abt 1830 from ? married a Melissa Gore 14 June 1867 in Randolph Co Illinois may have divorced later ? They had two children known Alonzo Charles Newell born 08 Sept 1868 Red Bud Illinois died in St Louis 21 March 1930 sister Minnie Newell born 09 Jan 1871 Illinois ? died 12 Jan 1873 St Louis Mo but buried in Red Illinois Any help on parents of Charles birth date and especially death date Thanks Virginia

12. kimrosenthal

Hi, further research revealed a man named D.. W.H. buried in Garrison Hill Cemetery with no dates. My GGGgrandfather’s name was William Henry Dildine, so this entry is interesting. I will be passing through the area in early April and I would like to take a photo of the headstone if I can find it. I have searched for a cemetery map with no luck, any suggestions?

13. Jim Kayser

I am searching for any info (cemeteries, etc) on my ancestor James Clark. He was born in the state of Louisiana in 1810. He married Mary C Morrison (daughter of trader Wm Morrison) in Kaskaskia in 1834. Census records have him and his family in Township 6 S Range 8 W in Randolph county. Any info is appreciated.

14. Kevin Fichter

Looking for connection between Wm. Misselhorn and Maries river bridge, plus anything Misselhorn or Walhmann

15. cherie

I have some vital statistics on my ancestors but am looking to flesh them out. Henry Rabe, Hainrich Pump, Conrad Huebner, and Fredrich Hanebutt. All from around Randolph County. All born in early 1800’s and living in Randolph county from mid 1800’s to early 1900’s. Any family out there?

16. Chuck Bono

Charles Timothy Boneau (or Bonneau or Bono) was bourn about 1822 in Illinois. In 1865 he was in Prairie du Rocher. In 1880 he was in the Ruma, Randolph County census. Married to Sophie Virginie Barbeau, 12 children including my great grandfather Benjamin born 1850. I could not find him in the 1870 census.

When/where did he die?

17. Brian Mahan

Anyone know where Reuben Lacey is buried. Likely he was born in PA in the 1750s; is brother of Col. Edward Lacey (Jr.) who was a famous militia commander in SC during the Rev War. Reuben came to Randolph County in the early 1800s. I know where his likely homeplace was, but not the cemetery in which he was buried. He died in 1820. HIs daughter, Rachel married John Mahan in 1813. See my paper about Reuben Lacey during the Rev War in The Saga — Vol. 42, #1 (Spring 2015), pages 41-46.

18. Brian Mahan

Am looking for info about John Mahan (born 1781 in Tennessee [before it was a state] according to 1850 Federal census). Earliest records I have of him in Randolph County are his militia service, his buying something at an estate sale, and his marriage to Rachel Lacey . . . all in 1813. I have a lot of information about him post that year, but nothing beforehand. Thank you.

19. Brian Mahan

Anyone out the researching the Leard family (also spelled Lard and Laird in early records)? I have been trying to figure out this family’s many Samuel’s, Margaret’s, and others for a couple of decades. Very confusing. See my paper in The Saga — Vol. 24, #3 (Fall 1997), pages 3-6 for background. Thanks.

20. Kevin Foster

I’ve been trying to find the relationship between Samuel McClinton Foster and Albert Woodsides Foster. They should be Father and son. According to his Randolph Co death certificate, Samuel was born 9/20/1858. Albert’s certificate lists his birth on 9/17/1872 in Murphysboro, Franklin Co. IL. That would make Samuel a father at 14 yrs old. Albert’s parents are listed as Samuel and Martha (Johnson), Samuel and Martha were Married 3/21/1865. I’m wondering if Albert was the son of another family member taken in or adopted by Samuel and Martha. Is there any way you could shed some light on this?

21. KIm

I can’t seem to find the location of “Village Cemetery” in Brewerville, Randolph County, IL. That’s how it’s named on my GGGgrandfather’s burial record. Could this be “Percy Village” cemetery? Or is there another cemetery near Brewerville?
    He died in 1874.

• RandolphIL

Kim, Brewerville is a very small precinct on the west side of Randolph County. If they’re referencing a “Village Cemetery” then I have to believe they are referencing one of the cemeteries of Prairie du Rocher. However, I could help you better if I knew the name of your GGGgrandfather…

• KIm

Hi, Thanks for the reply. His name was William Henry Dildine, died 9 Sep 1874. I could send you the burial notice (pdf).
        my email is: [email protected]

22. Rita Beck

I am searching for John Baptiste Birk, born in Ste Genevieve Co 1798. I think he may have relocated to Randolph county Il. His father was John Birk and his mother was Rachel Prior.

Submit a Comment